470 Clay Pitts Rd.
East Northport, NY 11731
LIKE us on Facebook!
Give us a call today at 314-303-1254 or contact us via email to learn more or book a hike!
Backpacking & Wilderness Skills
This course is designed for hikers and other outdoor enthusiasts who have little or no overnight camping experience in a mountain or wilderness environment. By the end of this course, students will have acquired the base skills to plan and carry out an enjoyable multi-day backpacking trip using established trails and campsites, and will have a foundation upon which to build more advanced wilderness and mountaineering skills.
Skills covered in this course will include:
- Equipment selection and packing. The 10 essentials!
- Basic fundamentals of land navigation, map, and compass.
- Meal planning and open air cooking.
- We discuss principles of nutrition for backpacking and wilderness trips.
- Water treatment and approaches to hydration.
- We discuss the pros and cons of iodine, chlorine compounds, filters, and boiling. We also address how to balance adequate hydration with optimum pack weight.
- Selection and safe operation of backpacking stoves.
- We teach the use of both liquid-fuel and canister-fuel stoves, discussing their pros and cons.
- Basic knots and hitches for securing tents and food bags.
- Food storage and caching strategies.
- Leave No Trace principles.
- Construction of a comfortable, low-impact campsite.
- How to go to the bathroom in the outdoors and many, many other backcountry skills.
*All necessary gear for demonstrations/instruction will be provided, but participants are welcome to bring their own for inspection, use and instruction.
This course runs as a public, group outing, but may also be taught as a private program for you, your family, or a group of friends, with custom dates and length appropriate to your needs. Call us with any questions at 314-303-1254 or email via our CONTACT page.